Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Freezer Friendly Meals for After the Baby Comes

Well, I have started making plans for the baby to arrive, even though she isn't coming until early May.  I like to have as much set as possible, to make it an easier transition.  I do remember that one the of the hardest things was having a hot meal ready for dinner every night after feeling exhausted and overwhelmed, and this is my 1st pregnancy with having 2 other children to care for.  So, I started making some freezer-friendly meals.  I make myself a cooking day where I prepare a few meals, and I also have certain dinners where I just double up on the recipe so I can freeze half.  I find it takes the same amount of time to cook twice as much, just a bigger pot or pan is needed.

I have already prepared and frozen family sized portions of:
  • Spinach and Sausage Manicotti
  • Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
  • Bean Soup with Smoked Pork Butt
  • Beef Chili
  • Chicken Chili

I am in the process or planning on making:
  • 2 batches of sausage corn chowder
  • 1-2 batches of baked ziti pasta
  • 2 batches of my famous Southwest Chipotle pasta sauce (a spicy roasted red pepper and garlic cream sauce) along with frozen chopped veggies so they are ready to prepare in minutes.
  • 2 batches of taco meat already seasoned and I will have taco kits ready in my pantry.
  • I will be purchasing 4-6 par-baked ponza rottas (like calzones) from our favorite place Jimmy's Grotto in Waukesha.  I freeze them, then let thaw in refrigerator for a day, bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and done!
  • Frozen Gyro kits (all I need is some fresh cucumber and tomato and about 10 minutes to make).
I have also frozen some smaller batches of lunch-sized portions of some of the items where I had a little extra.  These make easy, quick lunches for my husband to take to work, since he usually eats the leftovers from the night before.

One thing to remember is to cool the items properly and quickly, I use an ice bath for my freezer bags, then put them on the patio or in the cold garage for a bit to cool off (in the winter).  I lie them flat so they freeze that way, and store much easier.  I also mark the bags with what is inside plus the date I froze it, since they typically taste best within 3 months.  For items like the Manicotti, I freeze in oven-ready pans so I don't have to transfer them and make a mess.



If anyone wants any recipes or suggestions, just ask!  I'd also love some new recipes if you have any great ones to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment